Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Remind me again why there are no laws in breeding?

As the day has progressed my title has gone from Where does that math go? (a reference to the song "Where does the good go" which is a great song but definitely not proper tense) to Remind me again why there are no laws in breeding?

So I will start with where does the math go? This morning I stopped at St Louis Bread Company (for my out of town friends Panera Bread) to get a bagel and coffee. My total was $3.47. I handed the young man waiting on me $20.07, his immediate response was "$3.47 out of $20.07, your change will be $16.60." How sad is it that I gave myself whiplash looking up to check the screen which led me to complete awe thinking to myself did you really just tell me the correct change amount without using the register or a calculator???? Did you just do math in your head???? Can I hug you? Now I realize that not everyone has a natural penchant for math (and no this is not where the laws in breeding comes in...but the laws would certainly not hurt this next point). It is completely ok for not everyone to have that naturally math driven mind I and understand that math is more difficult for some than it is others (just like spelling is a huge challenge for me and always has been). But... normally when I give someone $20.47 on a total of $3.47 they will hand my nickel back and tell me I gave them too much... Um no actually I gave you exactly what I wanted to give you. See I want two quarters and a dime back instead of two quarters and nickel, now I grant you perhaps I should accept the fact that my aversion to nickels is peculiar. And one might ask does it really make a difference to have two quarters and dime vs two quarters and two nickels??? Well actually yes it does make a difference because the end result is 3 coins in my purse versus 4. So long thought longer, I commend the young man today for actually making a conscious effort to use his brain and his ability to do math in his head as opposed to assuming I don't know what my total is.

Now for the real question of the day...Remind me again why there are no laws in breeding?
As many of you know I consider my neighborhood to be an odd mix of posh and ghetto. Th Walgreens in my neighborhood is by far GHETTO with absolutely no posh (ok except for the 5 minutes a few weeks ago that Kanye and Amber Rose where shopping there then it was almost posh). Today is the third of August 2010. Which means that I have worked in retailing for (gulp) 20 years. One would think that after 20 years in an industry often impacted by the first and fifteenth I would know better than to attempt to pick up a prescription for all intensive purposes two days after "pay day" in the ghetto... (still not where the laws come in just exceptionally poor planning on my part)

After sitting in the drive through for roughly 21 minutes I decided this is silly I am perfectly capable of going inside (I am not at all helping my own cause here tonight). So I went into my oh so ghetto Walgreens. I should have known from the # of cars in the lot that it would be a spectacular display. As I waited in line and looked around I wondered when it became acceptable to wear a nightgown (leopard print at that) as a dress in public (now she was wearing a bra so it could have been worse)? Finlay after 7 people in line in front of me I get to the counter and I say my last name following it up with the spelling. As always the gentleman waiting on me walks to computer and types in something that I can only assume to be my last name, and since he then looks at me and says Paula with an inflection that leads me to believe this is a question I say in yes. He then walks to the bins and starts looking through the C's surprisingly to him he does not find my prescription in the Co bin so he turns to me and says "it will be ready in 15 minutes." With as much calm as I can muster (if you have heard any of my other experiences of this particular Walgreens you know that I really really really really want my lovely hemp wearing left wing liberal neighbors to get off their non capatalistics butts and let CVS in already!!!) I say "um are you sure it's not ready because I would think you would want to look over here in the bins that start with K since my last name actually starts with a K and technically speaking it was supposed to be ready Sunday so I would like you to look again". "and when I came in last night to pick it up and it was not ready I was very understanding to the fact that I failed to remember that you will not fill my Rx's without verbal confirmation from me that I am willing pay for my Rx (really me of all the people I have stood in line with here tonight I am the one you have to question is going to pay really??). So after nicely asking him to look again he walks to the screen and says "how do you spell your name?" K-O-R-M-A-N "well its not in the bins so its not ready" (deep calming breath) "um yeah so I could be wrong but that bin that you looked in says C-O not K-O and well what does the screen say?" "how do you spell your name?" (in my head I am now saying are you effing kidding me is it really this hard you have my information on the screen in front of you I can CLEARLY see Korman, Paula why won't you look in the dadgum bin??????) After about 45 seconds of my blank stare he says "K-O" and I nod and smile through the clenched jaw and say "yes K-O which I really think is in these bins over here." So he says "ok I'm really sorry but it's going to be 15 minutes because its not ready yet" So I say "Ok but I guessed I am concerned as to why last night when I came in to pick it up they told me they needed verbal commitment that I would pay for the Rx (again REALLY???) and that it would be ready in an hour. So instead of coming back last night I am now here 24 hours later and did I somehow miss my window of opportunity to pick up? Is my verbal commitment only good for an hour? What can I do in the future to ensure that I am meeting your needs so that I as a customer can leave happy because right now every time I come into this store I do not leave happy." After 45 seconds of blank stare from everyone around me I say "ok well I guess just fill it and let me know when it's done" and I walk over to look at the allergy medicine. 45 seconds later the young man comes out and says "I believe your Rx is ready." I simply respond with "great? thanks?" I turn and look at the line and there now are officially 7 more people in front of me and I get to wait for all 7 of them to be helped... So after all that apparently the lady working with him actually looked in the bin that holds the K-O and surprise surprise found my Rx.

Now had I not had the opportunity to stand in line AGAIN I would not have had the "pleasure" of hearing the story the security guard was telling one of his buddies (yes my Walgreens has 24 hour armed guards I like to call that the posh part of my hood even though I know deep down inside they only have armed guards in the "hood"). So the part of the story I hear is this "well she tells me she locked her keys in the car and she needs me to unlock the door for her, I tell her i cant because I don't have the tools and they wont let me do that here but I can call the police for her. She tells me I cant call the police on her cause she left her baby in the car so I say well if you left the car running and locked the keys and the kid in the car they will come right away and there wont be a problem. Then she says well the car aint running i just locked the baby in it cause i was only running in for a minuit so I tell her well i really cant open your car for you I gotta call the police it's Walgreens policy. She says then man you cant call the police I got no chances left they gonna take my baby for sure this time" For those not sure it is 90 degrees outside as I am typing this. I am at home trying to digest the fact that a 19 year old clerk at Walgreens cant spell my name when it is on the screen in front of him, the people that shop in my Walgreens are all crazy and apparently somehow its ok to break from Walgreens policy and break into a woman's car for her because she is for sure going to lose her baby this time...

So I ask you why don't we have laws in breeding again?

No comments:

Post a Comment