Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Like Taking Candy From a Baby...

So for the last half hour I have been having an email conversation with a coworker regarding a new opportunity for me at work. As part of our exchange I was commenting that a certain event does not count as selling, I was going to say "it's like taking candy from a baby." I typed it and then I reconsidered.

1 Will the recipient understand this idiom? Sometimes things get lost in translation especially in emails.
Idiom - having a meaning that cannot be derived from the conjoined meanings of its elements (Merriam Webster)

2 Do I know what this idiom means????

So I looked it up and according to Urban Dictionary it suggests that something is very easy to do.

So then I start thinking since I have never had a baby I really don't know is it easy to take candy from a baby? Wait who gives a baby candy???? I mean come on what are we calling a baby here? I am assuming that baby qualifies as somewhere between new born and 15 months old right? Don't they turn into toddlers around then? So from birth to around a year old are people really giving those critters candy?? I mean come on isn't that dangerous, aren't there choking hazards? Well I don't know but back to my point...

Taking candy from a baby is very easy to do...Again I ask really who gives a baby candy but more importantly why would you take it away. Isn't the damage already done at that point? And once the critter tastes that sticky yummy goodness is it really going to give it up without a fight? I can assure you that if you give me candy and then try to take it away I will bite. So really is taking anything from a baby easy when they are awake? Many babies I have been in contact with from what I recall are not really big fans of having things taken away. I mean how many of you out there have a kid who screamed when you changed it's diaper? I mean come on taking poop from a baby is harder than taking candy? Surely not?

So in the end I decided not to make the comment but now I wonder, anyone have a baby I can borrow for 5 or 10 minutes? I promise to give it back and I can assure you if taking candy from a baby proves to be more difficult than this idiom suggests I the baby whisperer will have said baby back to you happy...After all when it comes to me making babies happy, it's just like taking candy from a baby!

1 comment:

  1. Jenna was eating my apple this afternoon. I asked for a bite and she said no. I said, "jenna, share." Instead of handing me the apple, she handed me a stuffed Hello Kitty. Sooo...good luck with the candy.

    ReplyDelete